Back in around 2007-8 I was assisting a lady in her alterations and tailoring shop. One of the items that came in was a wedding dress. The lady that brought it in wanted a baby shall made from the dress. The baby shall was cut out of the train leaving the main part of the dress in tack and still use able. The lady who’s dress it had been was generous enough to let me have the dress since she had no use for the dress any longer. I brought it home and stuck it away in a closet; faintly hoping that someday, maybe, I could fix it and wear it myself. This fall I did fix the dress (cut of the train and added sleeves) and also got to wear it at my wedding.
While traveling in northern Minnesota this spring I purchased a charm-pack filled with purple, green, and brown fabric squares. My momma’s favorite color is purple so I figured I would make something for her from it. She had asked a number of times for a new purse so I decided to use the charm-pack and make a purse from it. I cut the blocks down to 4 1/2 inches arranged them how I’d like them for a purse. I was only 3 blocks short for the entire purse so only part of the lining is made from my fabric stash – the rest of the quilt (including the handles which used four squares each) was made from the charm-pack.
Over the summer I have been working on doing some huck weaving. I like to keep a stash of baby gifts laying around so I was working on huck-weaving some bibs. On the blue fish baby bib I used a book-mark pattern on hereandabove.com to try something new. I used pearl-cotton thread and I thought it worked nicely.
Over the spring and summer I worked on a few small projects. I also long-armed a double-bed quilt, and worked on a donation projects (neither one are pictured) besides these few projects.
This Irish Chain quilt was made from 1860’s Reproduction fabrics for my sister-in-law for her birthday. I used Eleanor Burns book, Irish Chain in a Day, for a pattern. I made the top from start to finished on January 16, 2015. I finished hand quilting the top the second to last week of April, 2015.
This was made as a gift for my cousin’s little girl. When talking to my cousins wife about what she had in mind for her baby she mentioned hot air balloon. I recalled that my grandmother had some fabric that she was going to use to make a hot air balloon quilt so I used it. I wasn’t sure what pattern my grandma was planning on using, and I couldn’t find one that suited my taste, so I decided to try my hand at designing my own paper-pieced block. This is the result of my first self-designed paper-pieced quilt project.
I have a little friend that I got to know reenacting the War Between the States and decided to make her a new little friend to play with at reenactments. The doll was named Rebecca and here are a few pictures of her and her things. The doll, thankfully, ended up being the correct size to fit into most 18″ doll clothes so dresses are very easy to find and make for her. Here are the pictures.
Project finished in March, 2015.
After my brothers got married I turned their old bedroom into a library. I get a love seat from a friend (she said her and her husband bought it in about 1982) and tried to make somewhat coordinating pillows and a quilt for it. Here are the pictures.